The Skokie Community Fund was established in 2010 by a small group of Skokie residents to foster an engaged and diverse community in Skokie through meaningful giving, collaboration, and community programming. In 2017 the Skokie Community Fund became the Skokie Community Foundation.
The Skokie Community Foundation is committed to growing as a lasting community resource by:
- Seeking out and partnering with donors and community builders who share our vision for Skokie
- Creating awareness of the Foundation as a community resource and a secure place to donate
- Building the endowment of the Foundation for future opportunities
- Constantly updating our knowledge of Skokie so that we can help create the change that Skokie wants
Just for Skokie
In 2011, the Fund supported the Village of Skokie’s annual Community Giving Program by offering to match up to $10,000 in donations after $25,000 had been collected. The community generously responded with $35,000, which allowed the Fund to provide the full match. As a result of this joint effort, $45,000 was distributed to Skokie families who qualified for assistance.
The Fund formed a steering committee and in June 2014, announced its inaugural grant cycle which sought collaborative proposals for capacity-building and program grants. In November, five, $5,000 grants were awarded to nonprofit organizations who partnered to provide services to Skokie residents that ranged from consumer benefits counseling to seniors to high-quality childcare for the children of single parents while the parents participated in job-readiness training.
The Fund awarded another $25,000 in collaborative grants to benefit Skokie in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
In 2017 the Fund became a 501c3 and the Skokie Community Foundation was born. The Foundation awarded $25,000 in grants to benefit Skokie residents in 2018 and 2019.
Thanks to generous donors, the Foundation now has a $150,000 endowment. Our goal is to grow the endowment so that the Foundation can continue to award meaningful grants with increasingly greater positive impact for Skokie.
We invite you to help us build a fund that is a true support for and reflection of the rich, diverse community of Skokie.
- What is your vision for Skokie?
- What do you think is going well in Skokie that would go even better with more support?
- What do you think is an underserved issue in Skokie that would benefit from more attention and support?
- Please tell us about something or someone that the Foundation needs to know about.